Skip to main content

Die Schlösser

     I grew up in the town of Avon Connecticut; a place whose sole icon—if the pictures at our local pizza places are to be believed—is the six-story hilltop Heublein Tower. Built by the German immigrant Gilbert Heubline who promised his wife Louise he would build her a castle. I spent many a summer afternoon hiking to the top of Talcott Mountain to visit this tower. It isn't something I thought to much about at the time, or even reflected upon, until recently I found myself hiking up a a muddy cliffside on the way to visit Burg Hohenzollern in the town of Hechingen. It was funny in one of those, "the more things change the more they stay the same" type of ways, because for the first time in years I actually began to reflect on Heublein towner as a holdover of the type of Cultural practice and phenomenon I was experiencing in Baden-Württemberg. Now I don't want to confuse anyone into thinking these buildings are aesthetically similar, but rather I want to make a case that they are a product of the same cultural experience.

Heublein Tower


Burg Hohenzollern

    Historically, castles dot the German landscape for a number of reasons. The first and most prominent of these is the legitimate strategic significance they offer as fortified positions. From the death of Charlemagne in 814 until the Congress of Vienna in 1815 the small German states engaged in numerous wars where having a defensible position on a hilltop seemed like a really good idea. I don't want to call castles a relic of a German military tradition, but in the case of most castles in Germany, it is not uncommon to find a sign or two describing what damage they sustained during the 30 years war, or other more local conflicts. The second reasonable existence of castles comes from them being working outposts and the basis of cities. Hohentübingen, the local castle here in Tübingen was a military encampment which years later had a large enough surrounding settlement to earn it Market Statues from the Holy Roman Empire. Both of these existences of castles are cool, and practical, but don't have much bearing in my consideration of Heublein Tower, which was a vanity project in the 19th century.

   In fact, a lot of the most famous German Castles are also 19th century vanity projects which exceed their original purpose. Burg Hohenzollern, which I visited last week, was built in its modern form between 1847 and 1867, conceding with the time the Heublein family emigrated from Suhl, Bavaria (Suhl is now in the Bundesland of Thuringia even though Bavaria is still a Bundesland German borders can be strange sometimes) to Hartford Connecticut. 

    Probably the most famous example of 19th Century prestige castles comes from Mad King Ludwig of Bavaria whose Castles of Neuschwanstein and Linderhof are beautiful and relevant excuse for more pictures of castles to be put in this post. Neuschwanstein was finished in 1869, and manages to lineup with this vague timeline. As the 19th century progressed people in power began to change how they viewed the castle, from a demonstration of practical defensive local power into a display of opulence and power through prestige. None of the German castles in this post were ever meant to be a defensive structure, but rather like Heublein Tower, were designed as aesthetically charged summer homes. Due to a change in material and political conditions in the 19th century the cultural practice of building castles was changed in a way that also changed the product. The idea of the castle was fetishized above the actuality of the castle. 


Linderhof

Neuschwanstein
       There is something about the gallantry of the castle that captures the imagination. They are cool, I keep visiting them here in Germany (despite most being the same) because they are cool. And this is something the rich and powerful in Germany and the United States have figured out. While once upon a time these buildings were an important part of how society in Germany was structured, it is exactly that mystic fairytale quality which has led them to be built in the modern era. I want to conclude today by talking about this house in Connecticut I found while writing this post. 100 years after Heublein Tower a man built a mega-castle for his family in Connecticut and it is currently for sale. Because what the Hohenzollern family, Mad King Ludwig, and the wealthy of Connecticut all seem to understand is that a summer house alone just isn't worth it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Die Kultur und ihre Nacht

I've gotten into the habit of writing my way into these posts; and while I have attempted not to do that presently, my point, and the topic at hand, is ultimately far too broad not for me to be a bit speculative and indulgent. I want to talk about die Kultur. Admittedly, that is impossible in a blog post. In fact, the point of these Blocker-blogs is to peel back the layers of die deutsche Kultur from an American perspective—so saying this weeks post is about Kultur is a little bit like saying today I am writing about Germany. More specifically I am going to talk about Tübingen's recent "Kultur Nacht," a citywide celebration of the arts and culture, which in my experience, felt quintessentially German.  So what is "Kultur Nacht"? "Kultur Nacht" is an annual event put on by das Kulturnetz Tübingen , a regional organization and intermediary for the arts, which for one spring night converted downtown Tübingen into a a display. With well over 100 differ

The €9 Ticket—or the Time the German Government Wrote my Blocker Blog

In the past few months I have claimed that the unifying "Theme" of this blog has been an exploration of space and culture, as this is already the type of casual analysis which I bring to my Alltag. A large part of what drew me to study in Germany in the first place was the way in which I felt Germany, and the Germans, value culture and community more than us Americans. While a lot of what I have written about in the past has fell into the category of cultural generalizations today I am excited to be talking about a real piece of policy—the locally infamous €9 Ticket. A few weeks ago the German governing coalition; consisting of the center left SPD, Liberal FPD, and Greens announced a plan designed to alleviate cost of living increases and encourage environmental travel by subsidizing public transit during the summer months. Since the beginning of the war in the Ukraine gas prices in Germany have been shockingly high by American standards (the equivalent of $12 per gallon bein

Die Romantik und Wandern Gehen

       As a lifelong runner and nature-lover finding new places to run, and hike, was the my most anticipated part of moving to Germany for the semester. There is no better way to discover a place than on foot, and Tübingen has not disappointed by offering up the most extensive and stunning network of trails I have ever lived near in the form of Schönbuch Naturpark . While this post could easily go in the direction of me gushing over my love of this space and recounting in far too many words how I have been truly alone here, without the sound of a car or plane to keep me company, I want to instead focus in on the concept of Wanderung , or w andern gehen as a facet of German identity.      So what is Die Wanderung? For most English native speakers, the word offers up images of wandering, an almost aimless journey, but to the Germans it suggests something completely different. The most direct translation of wandern would be "to hike" but in many way s this guts  Wanderung  gu